Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Urban Explorer on a Budget: Day 1


I think that my predicament is pretty obvious. I’m living in a new city, and one that I can already tell has TONS of fun things to do, but, and it’s a big “but,” I don’t have a job. However, I don’t think that this limitation has to be negative. In fact, I saw in my very first day here that it can be extremely entertaining. Not only that, my roommate Marie and I already have a running list of free things to do that sound awesome. 

Unfortunately, the torrential downpour yesterday evening put a damper (literally) on the first one. We were planning on taking advantage of the free yoga on the Lake, but will have to wait until next week. Luckily, we already have another opportunity for free yoga tonight, this one on the roof of Whole Foods in the Gold Coast neighborhood. I’m hoping that free fitness is as great in practice as it is in theory!

Food is also going to present a challenge. First up on the list: find the best bargain grocery store. Without a Safeway or Giant in sight, and thrust into the unknown world of Jewel Osco, Dominicks, and Treasure Island, I decided to try out the latter. Though slightly turned off by the ugly facade and its strangely un-food-related name, I was roped in by its claim to be “America’s Most European Supermarket.” Of course, being like most Americans, and idealizing/idolizing all things “European,” I was anxious to try it. Never again. If “European” has become the equivalent of ghetto, then yes, Treasure Island takes the cake. And, their food isn’t even a bargain! However, I did get something out of it, and I may find myself taking advantage of this in the coming months…GREAT free samples, and lot’s of ‘em!

No comments:

Post a Comment