Monday, June 29, 2009

7 is my Lucky Number


This weekend I discovered two things that Chicago has that give it an indisputable advantage over DC: BYOB’s and an abundance of second-hand clothing stores.

Having never been to a BYOB before (DC really needs to get with it), I wasn’t quite sure how it worked, and it seemed a little strange to be walking to the restaurant with my wine tucked under my arm. I felt mildly criminal pulling it out of my bag and pouring myself a glass, and I half expected the waiters to throw me out of the restaurant. We were dining at Joy’s Noodles and Rice, a Thai restaurant a block from our place, whose cute sidewalk seating we walk by every day. No street front tables were available, but my disappointment only lasted a second, as the hostess showed us through the restaurant to a back patio, adorned with hanging plants and lit by strands of white Christmas lights. Quite the romantic spot for my dinner date with two lovely ladies J

And just like my last dining experience, when given the check, I had to do a double take, but this time not because the waiter did us any favors. Our individual totals ($7 with tip!) more closely resembled a Subway or Starbucks receipt than the bill from a full sit-down dinner. (Our waiter, who really didn’t do much in the way of service, definitely benefitted from our surprise.)

Saturday I indulged my shopping craving responsibly, at the consignment stores along Milwaukee St. in Wicker Park. Having seen this neighborhood by both day and night, I can say that it’s definitely a little bit more artsy, more hipster, than either Lakeview (where I live) Lincoln Park (which reminds me the most of Georgetown) or Wrigleyville. And after scoring a Barney’s Co-op dress for (once again,) $7 (for a sense of the ridiculousness of this deal check out the prices on their website), it’s now my FAVORITE shopping destination.

1 comment: