Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chicago has a lot of bars...

I think I got a pretty good sampling of Chicago nightlife for my first time out. Thanks to some new friends who were serious about having a good time on a Wednesday night, we ended up bar crawling our way through two of the main “strips” of the city’s watering holes. First up, Cubby Bear in Wrigleyville, a hard-partying area that bears a striking resemblance to the District’s rowdy Adams Morgan (except, I’d say it has even more bars!).  This place was feet-sticking-to-the-floor fratty, and we decided to hit the road once the headache-inducing Rock Band Karaoke started. We popped in to Merkle’s next door, my pick because of its quirky name.

Deciding that maybe we could go for a chiller scene, and wanting to meet up with a Georgetown friend, we squeezed in to a cab and headed to Lincoln Park. I’m told by my fellow DC-raised Chicagoan that the first place we went, McGees, is DePaul’s equivalent of The Tombs--practically on campus and full of students. Our next stop, Halligan, with its friendly bartenders, casual but lively vibe, and plentiful seating, was easily my favorite of the night. We finished up at The Lion’s Den, and maybe it’s because it was pushing 2 o’clock on a Wednesday night, but the place definitely fit its name—dark and dingy, with pool and darts.

Ambitious, for a first night, but after three years of going to the same five bars every weekend, the variety was much enjoyed and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment