Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Rock Concert in the Meatpacking






The website of the Taste of Randolph St. describes the neighborhood of the festival, the West Loop, as “a chic, upscale area housing several of Chicago’s trendiest art galleries and nightclubs.” So, as I walked off the “El” and saw only warehouses--literally, meatpacking warehouses--I thought I might have made a wrong turn. But sure enough, after walking a few blocks, I began to hear the recognizable boom and echo of outdoor amplifiers.

Even though we arrived at the tail end of the third and final day of the festivities, there was an impressive crowd. I discovered what had drawn such a large and energetic audience about a half hour after I arrived—an angsty rock band with Midwestern roots, The Hold Steady. Obviously, this was the first I’d heard of them, and maybe it was the chill atmosphere and free admission ticket, but I think I’m a fan. At the very least, the front man was entertaining. Small, spectacled, and middle-aged, the rage that came out of him was astonishing. Here’s a video, but it doesn’t do justice to what I saw.

I’m glad that I didn’t let the threat of rain keep me from making the trip across town for my first street fest and I’m hoping the other neighborhoods know how to throw a party like the West Loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment