Thursday, July 9, 2009

Why "Windy"?

I went to another Cubs game yesterday, and once again, the weather wasn't exactly cooperative. Remarking on the brutal wind that continuously kept what would otherwise have been home runs in the park, I said to the Chicagoan next to me that other teams must really hate to come play in the "Windy City." There I was, thinking I was making some astute comment, when he smirks and tells me that the nickname has nothing to do with the weather. In an effort to prevent anyone else from being in the same embarrassing situation, I decided to do a little research on the misleading moniker. 
Apparently, "windy" refers not to the blustery-ness of the weather, but of the city inhabitants themselves. (For those who, like me, weren't aware that a person could be "full of bluster," here's the definition). Particularly though, it's the city's politicians who are responsible for this nickname, as they tend to be "long-winded and boastful." 
I still think Chicago is windier than the average city. 
I also got a kick out of the plethora of "minor nicknames"--a city has to have a lot of character to have so many.  

No comments:

Post a Comment