Friday, July 17, 2009

Clyde's in Georgetown Inspired a Song?

I haven't familiarized myself with the Chicago radio stations yet. I usually just scan around a little,  end up leaving it on any station that's playing a half decent song, and then fifteen minutes later have a moment of, "What the hell am I listening to?" and quickly smack the scan button again. So today, while driving home from seeing Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (review to come shortly), I wasn't really paying attention when all the sudden I hear the words "Washington, DC" and "a restaurant called Clyde's." Of course, I quickly turned it up and tuned in to hear what this was all about. Apparently (and I have a feeling many of you will find this just as questionable and surprising as I did), the well-known song, "Afternoon Delight," was written about an especially delicious and memorable shrimp dish (???) at the Georgetown bar/restaurant. I like Clyde's as much as the next person--their food is generally enjoyable and the atmosphere is very "Georgetown"--but inspirational? Really? I guess I always thought that song was more about...well, you know. Obviously, as soon as I got home (correction, as soon as I got to my internet hot spot, Caribou Coffee) I quickly googled the song title to find out if this was legitimate. The jury's out it seems. Note the "reference" contesting the Clyde's menu item's role in the song title.  Listen to the song, here, and see if you pick up on any food references. Or, anyone willing to serve as a field researcher to try the dish and help settle this issue, let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment