Friday, July 17, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I think I have a better-than-average memory, but I found myself feeling unfamiliar with much of the latest Harry Potter movie. I didn't have the constant deja vu feeling that I did with the other installments. Could this be because Half-Blood Prince was the ugly duckling of the series? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that, during the summer when I voraciously devoured books 4-7, there was no such lull in my obsession. As a matter of fact, I think I particularly liked Book 6 (it has an especially important climactic moment by which I identify it (I won't spoil it)). That leaves the film adaptation to blame. And, honestly, it's to be expected this far along in the series. The books get longer and longer, and though I admire the loyalty to the text, a three hour movie can get a little tedious. But I think the real issue was that some of the objects, spells, potions, creatures, physical feats, etc., of Book 6, just disappointed on the big screen. My imagination must have done a better job than Director David Yates and his crew. 
One advantage over the previous HP movies: the teenage wizards are finally getting old enough for a little romance :) 
Check out the trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment