Friday, July 17, 2009

Chicago Taxi Drivers: Buy a Map!

For most of my college experience, the taxi situation in DC was terrible. Zone system, anyone? I remember many a two minute cab ride that, because we "crossed zones," cost upwards of $10. Thankfully, cabbies were recently forced to get on the meter system, along with the rest of the United States. But I do not recall EVER getting in a DC cab, telling the driver where I needed to go, and him either a) not knowing the street or b) driving around aimlessly PRETENDING that he knew it, only to admit $6 into the cab ride that he didn't. 

Both of these things happened to me last night in Chicago. 

It's funny too, because my destination--a friend's house who was have a small get-together--is absolutely within walking distance. Had I been going there during the day, I wouldn't have bothered with a cab. But given the hour and my footwear--3 inch heels--a quick cab ride seemed the way to go. 
Unfortunately, the first cab we got in to did not recognize the street name. I guess he really wanted our business, because instead of letting us out of the cab easily, he shoved his cell phone in my hand, instructing me to talk to his dispatcher (whom I wouldn't have been able to understand, even if the reception hadn't been spotty). Needless to say, we decided pretty quickly that we didn't want to deal with a clueless cabbie and hopped out. 

Our cab ride home a couple hours later was also a snafu. How unlucky. This time though--and I am partially to blame since I wasn't paying attention--the driver headed about 5 minutes in the entirely wrong direction, before tentatively asking, "This is it, no?" Ummm, nooo. I said WEST MELROSE. Not sure what the issue was here--he didn't hear me, or had a momentary navigational lapse, or was on some sort of substance--but when we finally pulled up in front of our building, he courteously knocked $5 off the charge. They might not be Magellans, but at least the Chicago cabbies are gentleman.  

No comments:

Post a Comment