Friday, August 14, 2009

Buena Vista, Buenisima Comida

Buena Vista, which means "good view" in Spanish, is a Mexican restaurant a couple of blocks south of me on Broadway. I have long been of the mind that you can't really go wrong with Mexican, but you can't go really right with it either. Not to say that I don't LOVE some good chips and salsa and fajitas; it's one of my favorite cuisines, but mostly because I think it's ingredients and flavors give chefs and restaurants a lot to work with. 
A week or so ago, I saw the light and realized that there is a whole other level of Mexican deliciousness that I had not yet experienced. It came from this tiny, hole in the wall, two-man operation. 
I walked in to Buena Vista at around 5 pm on my walk back from some errands to try to reserve a table outside for later in the evening. It's safe to say that they have never had a first "reservation" they have ever had, and they didn't seem sure how to respond to me. Giving me a look and a shrug that said, "Look around, does it look like you need a reservation?," the owner/chef/waiter (it was unclear) told me to come back whenever. 
It's BYOB so we came back prepared--Coronas, tequila, and lime--and took our seats inside the closet of a restaurant. The food that came out of that matchbox kitchen blew all four of our minds. It was their meats--tender, ultra flavorful, and generously portioned--that impressed me most. I'm so glad that I got one chicken and one beef taco, because they were equally delicious (and the beef wasn't ground, it was shredded!) 
This was the kind of meal that I thought about days later. And our total (for three) came to $23. Perhaps the most entertaining part was the aforementioned jack-of-all-trade restauranteur. At first he seemed a little distasteful towards us, but by the end, after we offered him a tequila shot and a beer, he was cracking jokes and sharing recipe secrets. Hmmm...idea coming...maybe I could get a job there (free food!?)

UPDATE: I was shocked to find they have a website! Don't be fooled, it's  just as small-timey as I described.

No comments:

Post a Comment